Thursday, May 15, 2008

To Tie or Not to Tie.....

My GP has asked me whether or not I want to have my tubes tied during my c section next week.
Initially I thought no, HWSNBN should be responsible for something physical in this childbearing scenario. But then my GP made the point that HWSNBN will not get blood work completed for a relatively minor ailment - what are the chances that he will actually follow through with a vasectomy?

So I called HWSNBN and advised him that the GP recommended that we get the tubes tied during the section and that we could advise the OBGYN the morning of the surgery that we wanted it done. Initially there was whooping on the other end of the phone. I have to admit that I did offer to get this done if we could agree to a third baby.

But then HWSNBN started to think about it and decided (base don what kind of science I am not sure) that maybe having a tubal ligation was not as effective as a vasectomy. However I pointed out that in theory that may be correct (what do I know?), but at least with the tubal ligation we would know that it was done as opposed to the mythical "I'll get a vasectomy when I pluck up the courage to get some blood work done". If the blood work that has been waiting for the non life changing / altering condition (coming up on one year) is anything to go on then we will be pregnant again by the end of the year with HWSNBN's plan.

Every fiber in my being is telling me that if I want to be in control of this then I will need to get my tubes tied next week. I am still not sure that is what I really want to do. I know that having a 4th section isn't a safe choice either as the risk of complications rise. And to be honest I have had some bad mommy moments this year.

But still if I leave it up to HWSNBN - will it ever get done?

No comments: